Pain Management in Gynecologic Oncology and the Opioid Crisis
SGO presented this webinar on opioid use in gynecologic oncology with speakers from SGO's Education Committee, including Shannon Grabosch, MD, John Geisler, MD, and Allison Puechl, MD. This discussion outlines the scope of the opioid epidemic and what practitioners in gynecologic oncology can do to improve post-surgical prescription and dosing practices. In addition, presenters will provide resources for regulating and monitoring as well as safe disposal practices.
At the end of this webinar, participants should be able to:
- Describe non-narcotic options for post-operative pain management
- Use restrictive opioid practices to adequately control post-operative pain
- Counsel patients regarding expectations for post-operative pain and the benefits of limiting opioid use
- Identify resources for regulatory guidelines within their state
- Counsel patients on proper disposal of opiates
Recorded on November 1, 2019.
Keywords: Clinical practice, ERAS, Office practice, Pharmacology, Opioid
Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists, Trainees, Residents, Fellows, APPs